10 Tips That Lead To Creative Sign Ideas
Creative ideas for signs don’t happen by accident. The Mighty Sign Makers at Specialty Graphic Solutions show you how to best work with your sign company to generate creative sign ideas and out-of-this-world graphics. Contact us now for a free initial consultation, but before you do, read this post!
Signs and graphics don’t have to be complicated. In fact, we make the process quick, easy and virtually painless! The key to creative signs is communication and information. Here are 1o tips you can use for creative sign ideas.
Be prepared to answer questions
- Sign makers are terrible mind readers. They will ask for your contact information. Not to flood you with unwanted communication, they need it to set you up in their estimate and quoting system. If your boss asks you to find out how much a sign costs try to get an idea of what the boss is thinking.
The more details you can provide the better
- Saying I need a creative sign doesn’t give us much to go on. What type of sign? Where will it go? How large? What materials? The Mighty Sign Makers ask more questions than most sign companies. What is it you want the sign to do? We are the experts and know of many different ways to achieve your goal.
It’s a big ballpark
- “I just need a ballpark price” makes sign companies cringe. Think of it like this. You want to go to a pro football game so you call the box office and say I’d like a ballpark price on a ticket. They will say it varies from $50 to $5,000 depending on where you want to sit. Same for signs. It’s anywhere from $100 to $10,000 or more depending on what you want.
Have a budget
- A reputable sign company uses your budget to make sure they can offer you the best solution. A range is fine. We would love to sell you the most expensive option if that is what you need but the best solution may be less. They will give you options that fit your budget. Think of it like this. You are in the market for a new house. If you can’t tell the real estate agent a price range they have no idea what to show you. It makes no sense to show you million dollar homes when you really need a condo. Keep in mind that after you start looking at options your budget may change.
Learn a little lingo.
- Sign designers will throw out a lot of strange words. What type of art do you have, vector or raster? Is it a dot AI or dot EPS File? Calendared or Cast vinyl? Do you have a Pantone color code? Our Sign Terminology page has a 150 of the most common translations without the technical mumbo-jumbo.
Pictures help a lot!
- If you see something you like, take a picture. A picture doesn’t say a thousand words. We see it and say Ah-ha! I understand what you are looking for. If you have a vehicle, bring it in. Designers are worse mind readers than sign makers. Our gallery is a great place to start. See the links below.
- If you don’t understand anything along the way please ask! Communication is critical. There are considerably more options available today so don’t be afraid to ask questions. The best creative sign ideas often happen well into the creative process.
- Once the design process starts you need to give the designer very specific instructions. Most companies will do a couple of proofs as part of the job. Tell the designer what you do and don’t like about the design and why. The more information up front means fewer changes which can drive up your cost if you are not specific.
- The design is just part of the process. A good sign company will be thinking past the design to production. They have the expertise to identify potential problems and should be able to tell you why something won’t work AND suggest changes that will work.
- The Mighty Sign Makers are great collaborators! Two heads are better than one. Creative Ideas for Signs and Creative Sign Ideas for businesses!
A great place to start is in our Galleries: